In the past year, kitchen remodeling has been a top project for remodelers and it’s a great way to add value to your home. But, you want to make sure that you are setting yourself up for success before demolishing your existing kitchen cabinets and floors. Remember these do’s and don’ts to create the dream kitchen you’ve always wanted the smart way:
- Do some research to make sure you are hiring a qualified contractor. Browse reviews online, reach out to others for recommendations, and don’t settle just because one contractor might be cheaper.
- Consider your kitchen must-haves—do you want your kitchen to be energy efficient? Have a certain finish or countertop material? Do you want to have appliances with the latest technology?
- Evaluate what an ideal floor plan for your kitchen would look like. Keep it functional and efficient with sufficient storage and countertop space that matches your needs and the needs of your house. What is the purpose of your space? What do you like to use the kitchen for most frequently? Cooking? Entertaining? Gathering with your family?
- Hang on to all your receipts. Have them in a safe place to pull out when filing your taxes or to use if you plan to sell your home in the future.
- Focus exclusively on the aesthetic of your new kitchen—shiny countertops or a perfect color palette aren’t the most important things about your new kitchen. Be sure the quality of your cabinets, countertops and replacement windows is high to keep your kitchen functioning efficiently for a long time.
- Forget your budget! Stay on budget by prioritizing based on your needs and what features are most important to you. We recommend budgeting at least 10 percent more than what you believe you’ll need so you can cover unexpected costs during the remodeling process.
- Forget to consider windows! Pella Windows and Doors has a range of excellent kitchen window styles that can pull together an entire kitchen remodel.
One of the most important items of a kitchen remodeling project is the windows—they offer light into your space, set the tone for the room and give you a gateway to the outdoors, which is especially nice when there’s a cool breeze on a summer day. If you are interested in replacement windows as a part of your kitchen remodel, give our experts at Pella Windows and Doors a call at 207-517-2331, visit our South Portland showroom or arrange an in-home consultation with us online so we can help you select the right replacement windows for your kitchen needs.